Caran d'Ache Luminance Pencils - A first impression in Enchanted Forest





Instagram  

Once in a while, I receive messages from readers and viewers who ask for my mailing address. They want to send me a 'thank you' for the articles and videos that I make.
Everytime I receive gifts like this I am in complete awe. People are so generous! 

In March 2017, a lady from India had asked me for my mailing address. A couple of weeks later a package came. There was a beautiful animal encyclopedia in it and...the full set of 76 Caran d'Ache Luminance pencils! And again, I was completely in awe...what a gift!


       



In Johanna Basford's book Enchanted Forest, my favourite page is the one with the compass.
I decided to pick this drawing to explore the Luminance pencils and make a series of videos:





As soon as I started using the beautiful Luminance pencils, I immediately noticed the quality of the pigments, vibrancy, and opacity. These pencils are absolutely superb. Their lightfastness is the best.
My dutch version of Enchanted Forest has thick but slippery paper and I was having trouble with all my other pencils. But the Luminance pencils were no trouble at all! Where other pencil brands' pigments seemed to slip away or not find enough tooth to lay down pigment, Luminance pencils had no trouble at all!

There were a few moments where I wished the pencils were a little less soft, though, because colouring tiny details can be a bit difficult. But for this project I decided to only use Luminance. And in the end, I managed to colour the details as well.



Caran d'Ache Luminance pencils are not only extremely good, they are also very expensive. 
But I haven't found a pencil yet that matches the vibrancy, lightfastness, softness/no breaking pencil leads of these Luminance pencils. 

As I continue my passion for pencils, these Luminance pencils will be often used. I just love them. 
So yes, highly recommended!





   

Comments

Popular Posts